Join us in protecting our wildlife and natural areas and helping the public enjoy them too. Check out our opportunities below for getting involved with Nature Newfoundland and Labrador or in citizen science projects in the province.
If you are full of initiative and have great ideas, or if you’re a good naturalist, Nature NL is a great place to volunteer. We don’t provide office space for volunteers to work in, and our Nature Nook program at The Rooms is not currently in need of volunteer naturalists. However, the following ideas are projects we’re working on (or would like to be), and you can help out either in the community or in the comfort of your own home.
1) Our ‘Nature for New Canadians‘ project may be in need of volunteers for Spring 2017. Speak with Liz if you are interested in helping those new to our country experience nature and the outdoors. Location: Various spots around the city. Time commitment: 5-10 hours, on 1 or 2 days.
2) Help us run a trivia night. We’re hoping to run a wildlife-themed trivia night. Do you know a good spot we could run it? Would you like to help organize, find prizes, and set it up? Location: Mobile/flexible. Time commitment: 20-30 hours over 1-2 months.
3) Help us make some more simple 1-page field guides. Our ‘Winter Gulls of Quidi Vidi Lake’ has been very popular and has enabled us to help lots of people learn about gulls for the first time. We’re interested in developing more (for example, seabirds, ducks, warblers, etc.). You’d need to be comfortable with the group of birds you’re making the guide for, and have some skills in graphic design. Location: Mobile/flexible. Time commitment: 10 hours
4) Run, host, or organize a workshop or hike. Do you enjoy warblers? Wildflowers? Lichens? Trees? Whales? etc. If you are capable of identifying and explaining the topic of the session, come speak with a board member at one of our events or get in touch. Or, if you want to find the host yourself, feel free to do so. Coming to some of our workshops and hikes will help you get a feel for the types of events we run and what people would enjoy, as well as the structure. You can propose a time and date, theme, and location for an event, and if it fits within the type of events we usually host we’d be happy to help it run. Location: Coordination and setup – mobile/flexible. For the event – our events are typically in the St. John’s region or within a couple hours’ drive. Time commitment: Depends – 5-10 hours.
5) Join our board of directors. If you’re already attending our events and familiar with our programs, but want to do more, speak with a board member at one of our events about joining our board if there is available space. Location: Our meetings are in the Science building of Memorial University in St. John’s. Time commitment: 5-15 hours a month, depending on what projects you would take on outside of basic board member responsibilities.
6) Bring us your idea. Have a project you’d like to see us get involved in, a grant you’d like to help write, a program you’d like to start, or any other idea you’d enjoy working on? We love initiative and new ideas. Speaking to one of our board members at an event would be the best way to get a larger project like this off the ground.
Available citizen science projects from various organizations are listed below. If you are interested in listing your citizen science project, please email us at email@example.com.